
Today I visited the Museum of Fine Art with 7 other Grad students form Texas Tech. What an awesome venue. The Collect was incredible. One of my favorite works was by James Turrell.
The Light Inside (1999) 132 x 246 x 1416 in. Site-specific installation: Neon light, gypsum board, plaster, and glass.
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjRMs0izHSE YouTube).
Another treat was the Ashanti collection from Ghana that my good friend Esther walked me through. It was nice to be able to see the work with the help of someone that understood the meanings and importance of what i was looking at.
Earlier in the day we visited The Menil Collection. There were four Jasper Johns and one Robert Rauschenburg that really impressed me. They also had on display drawings by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen. These were original drawings for large scale installations. There was an awesome exhibition of Marlene Dumas: Measuring Your Own Grave. Several portraits and hundreds of ink wash drawing were up.
On another note, I finally was able to visit the Rothko Chapel. There was a Hugh celebration going on inside, some 80 plus peoples listening to musicians form India. There was little room to walk around and even less to sit and view the work. This left me somewhat sad for I no painting to sit before and lose myself in.
After that I went to the Cy Twombly Gallery. It was wonderful. I wish i had more time to investigate his paintings on site. I was in awe at the shear size of the work. simply amazing...
Unless otherwise stated all photos are the property of David A. Collins, © 2009
The Light Inside (1999) 132 x 246 x 1416 in. Site-specific installation: Neon light, gypsum board, plaster, and glass.
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjRMs0izHSE YouTube).
Another treat was the Ashanti collection from Ghana that my good friend Esther walked me through. It was nice to be able to see the work with the help of someone that understood the meanings and importance of what i was looking at.
Earlier in the day we visited The Menil Collection. There were four Jasper Johns and one Robert Rauschenburg that really impressed me. They also had on display drawings by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen. These were original drawings for large scale installations. There was an awesome exhibition of Marlene Dumas: Measuring Your Own Grave. Several portraits and hundreds of ink wash drawing were up.
On another note, I finally was able to visit the Rothko Chapel. There was a Hugh celebration going on inside, some 80 plus peoples listening to musicians form India. There was little room to walk around and even less to sit and view the work. This left me somewhat sad for I no painting to sit before and lose myself in.
After that I went to the Cy Twombly Gallery. It was wonderful. I wish i had more time to investigate his paintings on site. I was in awe at the shear size of the work. simply amazing...
Unless otherwise stated all photos are the property of David A. Collins, © 2009


No comments:
Post a Comment