Friday, May 22, 2009

Roswell, New Mexico



May 11, 2009

roswell artist-in-residence program

http://www.rair.org/

The residency is a one year program. It is well know by the artist that stay there as a “gift of time and space”. Started by Don Anderson, the program provides newly built studio/living facilities. They are single living homes with an large well lighted attached studio. They also provided a studio space for a spouse if they so desired. There are group facilities and local recourse for the artist. There is a long history with the residency and visiting it gave me the desire to apply myself. The Artist in Residency Program was established in 1967 by Don Anderson.

If you need a mall close by or nine Starbuck cafes within 5 minutes, than Roswell is probably not for you. There are beautiful vistas filled with cottonwood tree and alfalfa field in every direction so take your alergy medicine if you need it.

The Anderson Museum of Contemporary Art

http://www.roswellamoca.org/index.html

The gallery was large, filled with many of the resident artist that had been part of the program since its inception. Some 37 years of the residency program has produced a collection that is unique and progressive in a town better know for its recovery of a crash site in 1947. My expectation of Roswell was a dusty little place with bad lighting and old faded portraits of some preserved hay day. What I encountered though was something entirely different. I discovered many artistic roots that run deep in the southwest. Many of the artists that I have seen and admired had been part of the residency, including my professor at the University of North Texas. I have a desire to apply myself to the Roswell Artist-in-residency program, though it probably won’t be for a few years.

Some of the artist that I liked/recognized/am very interested in were Robert Jessup, Luis Jimenez, Wesley Rusnell, Koi Neng Liew and Robert Barber.

Robert Jessup was one of my professors at University of North Texas. He taught me in figure drawing and my senior painting classes. I had no idea that he had been part of the Residency. There were two of his paintings hanging in the gallery. They were early works, but still had his signature look of paint application. I was really excited to see these early works.

Luis Jimenez was a resident from Mar 1973 – 74. His work continues to inspire me. I knew of his sculpture but had never seen his drawings. I love his drawing and prints more than his amazing sculptures. I was also amazed of the berth of his work across New Mexico and the Texas.

Wesley Rusnell early works form 1973 were large nudes done in high key colors that aggressively played against each other. Some were multiples of figures overlapping or interacting with each other. There were a few black and white prints of his also on display. These were had the flavor of early German abstract expressionism.

Robert Barber was a resident from May 1991 – 92. His work was a series of golf bags, and a vacuum that were converted over into sharks forms that were suspended form the ceiling. These really fascinate me. I like the idea of creating fantastic creatures out of ordinary objects. They take on personas that invite interpretation, narrative and good old fashion fun.

Koi Neng Liew’s anamorphic figures are incredible. The blend of fantasy and human experiences was inspirational. These sculptures were fun, exciting and gave me the desire to sit and draw form his work. I want to see them move and interact within a storyline. I would love to watch them on the big screen.

Unless otherwise stated all photos are the property of David A. Collins, © 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment